Sunday, November 6, 2011

Would speed cameras really save lives?

According to an article in the Chicago Tribune today, the answer is only 4. 

Rahm Emanuel likes to say that his "goal is only one thing, the safety of our kids", but when the Tribune looks at the numbers, his plan would only have saved 4 children's lives.  Here's how the numbers play out.

Total pedestrian deaths, 2005-2009
251

Of those:  Deaths in proposed 'safety zone'
118

Of those:  Deaths involving speeding
26

Of those:  Deaths in which the victim was a child
4

So although everyone wants to increased safety for our kids in Chicago, this doesn't seem to make a huge dent in that.  One thing that Rahm fails to mention is the revenue that these cameras will generate for our cash strapped city.  According to the article, red light cameras generated $69 million for Chicago in 2010, that was up more than $10 million from the previous year.

My concern isn't that I will get caught speeding in the city, it is the fairness of these cameras.  I saw first hand how unforgiving these cameras could be when I received my first (and hopefully last) red light ticket for not making a complete stop before turning right on red.  I went before the judge and after viewing the video, she said this is the closest I've seen, but technically you didn't make a complete stop and I was slapped with a $100 fine.  If a Chicago Police Officer was behind me, he wouldn't have pulled me over for such a thing.  That to me is about revenue generating and not public safety.  I created this blog shortly thereafter to warn others about these cameras.

All these red light cameras do is back up traffic for people who are cautious and don't want to get a ticket so they slow down and then speed through and one car gets through an intersection that normally 3 or 4 cars could've went through safely on a green light.  OR people slam on their brakes and almost get rear-ended so they don't get a ticket.  This is not my idea of public safety.  We have already heard about the ways these red light camera companies are about generating revenue and are tying the hands of our city officials who try to minimize accidents by making sure that yellow lights meet the 3 second rule before turning red.

My fear is that these speed cameras (which with this law could cover nearly half the city) are going to clock you going 1 mph over the speed limit and issue you a $100 fine.  To me that isn't about safety, that's about revenue.

If you want to lower pedestrian deaths from vehicles in Chicago, how about enforcing the laws that say pedestrians need to cross at cross walks and no jaywalking.  Or how about issuing fines to pedestrians who cross the street without looking both ways.  These same pedestrians are probably listening to their iPOD and can't hear a horn honk or they are texting and not looking up at all.  That is the real problem with public safety.  Sure drivers need to be more careful, but pedestrians and parents of small children need to make sure that all parties are being responsible.  That is the true way to reduce deaths.  Sure it isn't a fancy decision and it won't generate revenue, but it will save lives. 

OR if you want to help the city out and lower unemployment, why don't we hire more police officers and have them enforce these rules.  I'd like the police to issue tickets to those people who drive recklessly.  You know the ones that go into the right hand lane (that is ending soon) so when the light turns green, they can slam on the gas and cut everybody off.  To me that is more of a driving hazard than speeding or being in the middle of the intersection when the light turns red. 

If you agree, I encourage you to write your IL State Representative and encourage them to vote against this bill.  They could vote on it as early as this week.  You can find out who your state representative is here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't agree more about the need to EDUCATE and ticket pedestrians who walk into busy streets.

Last weekend I went to the city for a show. I kid you not, driving from downtown to the near west side to drop someone off, then towards the highway: I encountered FOUR people that walked out between parked cars to cross the street. One downtown way out of crosswalk. Two on the way to West Town. Then one from there to highway access. To say my heart fell into my stomach would be an understatement! Most didn't even look at oncoming cars (or seem to care!)

The 'worst' one was a man who had nearly all dark clothing and could hardly be seen... until my lights illuminated him. He didn't look nor did he even care as I approached. I was going the limit. It was dark. It was drizzling rain. All factors that would have contributed to hitting him. I was following the law. Was he?

Would it matter if I was following the law? Would it matter if there were speed cameras on that street? NO. Would it matter if I was going 32 in a 30 and got a ticket and hit him? Would it matter if I was going 25 in a 30 and hit him? (which I do many many times in the city to the dismay of people behind me)

I was 'scared straight' after that night and further reinforces my unwillingness to drive to this great city unless I absolutely have to.

Chicago Resident said...

Anonymous,

Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately, people who drive in the city do need to be extra cautious. It's unfortunate that law abiding citizens are still to blame when pedestrians run out in front of their vehicle. I'd like to see more police out on the street cracking down on these pedestrians.

Anonymous said...

Where is the $69 million?????

Anonymous said...

We all need to call the Govenor and tell him not to sign this bill. It probably would not matter though as Emanuel has him in his pocket it seems.