Saturday, February 11, 2012

Quinn signs Emanuel speed cameras bill into law

I guess it is official, we are going to be getting speed cameras attached to some of our red light cameras.  I love how Quinn invokes the argument that it's for the children when it is really for the revenue.  As soon as the locations are released, I will update this blog.


Gov. Pat Quinn signed a measure into law today that allows Mayor Rahm Emanuel to start using red light cameras to fine speeding drivers as much as $100 for violations.
"I think that you've got to understand that if you save even one life, you are saving the whole world," Quinn said at a morning event at a Chicago school. "I mean, what do you say to a parent that's been there from the day their son or daughter was born, and they're killed by a speeding motorist next to their school, or their park?"

1 comment:

Julia said...

I find this very useful because maybe careless drivers will be more careful on a red light.

I also heard that such cameras will be installed on school buses to avoid incidents and force drivers to me more careful when they approach a driver.
There are many careless driving Toronto cases that can be avoided using such traffic cameras.